California Is Crawling With Bed Bugs, 3 Cities Among Most Infested
Bed bugs are tiny insects that typically feed at night while people and animals are asleep on the blood of humans and animals. They can leave their victims with itchy welts, skin diseases, and emotional discomfort. Because they can live for months without food and conceal in the smallest of places, bed bugs are also infamously difficult to eradicate.
Bed Bug Infestations in California
Three of the most bed bug-infested cities in the US are in California: Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sacramento, according to a recent analysis by the pest management business [Orkin]. Based on the quantity of bed bug treatments Orkin completed between January and December 2023, these cities came in at #4, #12, and #27 in the national ranking of the top 50 bed bug cities.
According to the survey, there has been a 9.4% countrywide increase in bed bug infestations over the previous year, suggesting that the problem is becoming more widespread. A few things that help bed bugs spread are more people traveling, a lack of knowledge, and chemical resistance.
Bed Bug Laws and Regulations in California
California has rules and regulations specifically addressing the problem of bed bugs in rental houses. Among them are:
- Landlords are required to provide habitable conditions for their tenants, which means free of bed bugs and other pests.
- Landlords are prohibited from renting out units that they know are infested with bed bugs.
- Landlords are responsible for arranging and paying for professional pest control treatment when bed bugs are confirmed in a unit.
- Landlords must educate and disclose bed bug risks and history to prospective tenants before leasing.
- Tenants are required to cooperate with landlords and pest control inspectors to treat an infestation.
- Tenants are required to report suspected infestations to landlords in writing within 2-5 days of first signs.
In addition, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) offers tools and advice on preventing, detecting, and managing bed bug infestations.
In California, bed bugs are a severe and expanding issue, particularly in large areas like Sacramento, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. They put the population at large, as well as landlords and tenants, at risk for financial and health problems. As a result, it’s critical to recognize the warning signs and symptoms of bed bug infestations and to abide by the rules and laws designed to safeguard each party’s rights and obligations. To treat the region and eradicate bed bugs, get in touch with a licensed pest control operator as soon as you suspect a bed bug infestation in your house or the lodging you are visiting.