The Story Behind This Haunted Hotel in Georgia is Terrifying
For anyone seeking a haunted place to stay in Georgia, the Marshall House near Savannah may be of interest. Constructed in 1851, this ancient hotel has a macabre and sinister past that makes it one of the most haunted locations in the state.
The Marshall House as a Hospital
It wasn’t always a hotel at the Marshall House. It served as a hospital for injured combatants from both sides of the Civil War. Many of them perished there, and either mass graves or the neighboring river was used to dispose of their remains. A few of the severed limbs were even kept in storage in the basement, where they were eventually found when doing renovations.
In addition, the hotel provided medical care for two outbreaks of yellow fever in the late 1800s. The illness claimed hundreds of lives, and it’s reported that their ghosts still haunt the hotel hallways.
The Haunted Happenings at the Marshall House
Over the years, several paranormal incidents have been reported by both personnel and guests of the Marshall House. Among the most typical ones are:
- Hearing ghostly footsteps, moans, screams, and whispers in the hallways and rooms.
- Seeing apparitions of soldiers, nurses, children, and other figures in period clothing.
- Feeling cold spots, touches, and tugs on their hair or clothes.
- Finding bloodstains on the sheets, towels, and walls that disappear and reappear.
- Witnessing faucets, lights, and televisions turn on and off by themselves.
- Experiencing nightmares, sleep paralysis, and visions of the hotel s past.
The Marshall House Today
The Marshall House is still open for business as a hotel, and anybody with the wherewithal to spend the night in one of its haunted rooms are welcome. The hotel does not hold back when discussing its past; for those who are interested, it provides historical lectures and ghost tours. In addition, the hotel has old antiques and pictures on display along with a guestbook where guests can write about their experiences.
A room at the Marshall House can be a good choice if you’re searching for excitement. But be advised that you may not have a restful night’s sleep. You may run into some of the hotel’s restless occupants, and the property in Georgia has a frightening backstory.